Mukhtar Aliyevich Aliyev is a Soviet Kazakh surgeon, Doctor of Medical Sciences (1974), Professor (1976) academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan (1989), President and founder of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan (1995), People’s Hero of Kazakhstan (1995), member of the International Association of Surgeons. Deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the Kazakh SSR of the 10th-12th convocations.
Mukhtar Aliyevich Aliyev was born on February 2, 1933 at the station of Tomen-Aryk, Zhana-Kurgan district of the Kyzyl-Orda region.
- In 1950 he graduated from the Turkestan Pedagogical College.
- He began his career as a teacher at a seven-year school in the village of Timur, Shaulder district, Shymkent region (1950-51).
- From 1951 to 1957, he studied at the Alma-Ata State Medical Institute.
- From 1957 to 1958 — chief physician and surgeon of the district hospital of the state farm “Timur” of the Shymkent region.
- From 1958 to 1960 – resident of the Department of the Almaty State Medical Institute.
- From 1960 to 1961, he was a surgeon at the Republican Clinical Hospital.
- From 1961 to 1963 — Researcher at the Kazakh Research Institute of Oncology and Radiology.
- From 1963 to 1969. – postgraduate student, assistant of the Department of the Alma-Ata Medical Institute.
- From 1969 to 1976 – Associate Professor, Head of the Department of the Alma-Ata Institute of Advanced Medical Training.
- From 1976 to 1980 – Head of the Department of the Alma-Ata Medical Institute.
- In 1980-1982 — Chief surgeon of the Ministry of Health of the Kazakh SSR.
- In 1980-1985 – Director of the Research Institute of Clinical and Experimental Surgery.
- From 1982 to 1987 – Minister of Health of the Kazakh SSR, since 1987 — Director of the Scientific Center of Surgery named after A. N. Syzganov.
- In 1998 he founded and became the first president of the International Academy of Medical Sciences (Brussels, Belgium).
Mukhtar Aliyev has significantly developed the medicine of Kazakhstan in the field of thoracic, abdominal, cardiovascular, endoscopic surgery, microsurgery and transplantation. Under the leadership of M.Aliyev, a fundamentally new method of surgical treatment of liver echinococcosis using a laser has been developed. M.Aliyev has performed more than 50 coronary artery bypass grafts for coronary heart disease. The first in the Republic of M.Aliyev performed endoscopic removal of the gallbladder, ovarian cyst, adrenal gland, lung. The Republican Organ Transplantation Center was organized on the initiative of Mukhtar Aliyev. For the development of methods of treatment of chronic diseases of the lungs, esophagus and other organs, together with a group of scientists, he was awarded the State Prize of the Kazakh SSR (1989).
70 doctoral and 83 candidate dissertations were defended under the leadership of Mukhtar Aliyev. He is the author of 970 scientific papers, including 59 monographs, and has 155 author’s certificates. 18 employees of the Scientific Center of Surgery became laureates of state prizes.
M.Aliyev is the author of books:
- “Artery plasty in combined radiation lesions” (1979);
- “Diagnostic and operative thoracoscopy” (1988);
- “Diagnosis and treatment of esophageal injuries” (1991);
- “Immunity in peptic ulcer surgery” (1991);
- “Adequacy of general anesthesia” (1992);
- “Clinical Microsurgery” (1994);
- “Surgeon’s Handbook” (1997);
- “Manual of Surgery” (1997).
- People’s Hero of Kazakhstan (1995);
- Order of Otan (1995);
- Certificate of Honor of the Supreme Soviet of the Kazakh SSR;
- Laureate of the State Prize of the Republic of Kazakhstan (twice);
- Honorary Citizen of Almaty;
- Laureate of the international prize “Profession-Life” (2004);
- Winner of the Platinum Tarlan Award (2005);
- Gold Medal of Abylai Khan Academy of Natural Sciences (1998);
- Gold Medal “500 Founders of the XXI century” (Cambridge, England, 2001);
- Medal “For Valiant labor in the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945”;
- Medal “Veteran of Labor” (1987);
- Astana Medal (1998);
- Medal “2000 outstanding intellectuals of the XXI century”;
- Jubilee medal “30 years of the Republican Specialized Surgery Center named after Academician V. Vakhidova” (Uzbekistan, 2005);
- Badge “For merits in the development of science of the Republic of Kazakhstan” (2001);
- Laureate and gold medal “For Strategic Management” (France, 2002);
- Titles “Person of the Year” (2001), “Leading Intellectuals of the world”, “Outstanding professional achievements in the field of medicine”, “Citizen of the World”, “Ambassador of the World”, “Outstanding Leader” (2003);
- Recipient of the Honorary International Diploma for Outstanding contribution to the development of surgery (2002);
- Honorary Citizen of the City of Baltimore;
- Honorary Colonel of the State of Kentucky, USA (1988);
- Two streets in district centers, Zhetysai Medical School are named after Mukhtar Aliyevich Aliyev;
- A scholarship was established to them. Aliyev in Shymkent and Aktobe State Medical academies.
- Member of the International Association of Surgeons (1988).
- Member of the Association of Surgeons named after N. I. Pirogov (1996).
- Member of the New York Academy of Sciences (1996).
- Honorary member of the International Academy of Medical Education of Germany (1998).
- M. Aliyev died on January 12, 2015 at the age of 82 from heart disease.